[ANN] Chuck type inferencer

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Jun 3 12:25:57 UTC 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 2:28 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
>> This is something I've been working on addressing for the next version
>> of OmniBrowser. Essentially, the next version of OB will operate on an
>> AST that begins with Package at the top and extends down through Class
>> and Method to sub-method parse nodes like MessageSend and Literal.
>
> Yep, I would love to have something around like this and not maintain
> my
> own.  Already I have stopped using  my custom parser in favor of RB's,
> and I could probably have dumped my parse nodes though that is more
> trouble than its worth so far.  I still am having to deal with keeping
> an object model of the code in the image (or *not* in the image,
> depending on what you are analyzing).  A lot of this object model could
> surely be offloaded into a tool like OmniBrowser...  but of course, it
> doesn't actually exist yet.  :)

Well, it does exist, it's just that OmniBrowser doesn't use it yet. The
latest version is here:

http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/CodeModel-cwp.41.mcz

To run the tests, you'll also need these three packages, which have
dummy code:

http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/BogusInfo-cwp.5.mcz
http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/Bogus-cwp.13.mcz
http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/BogusExt-cwp.1.mcz

I'll put this one SM once I get OmniBrowser using it and things
stabilize a bit.

Another possible use of Chuck that occurred to me is in translation.
With type information one could do a version of Slang that was a lot
closer to Smalltalk, using actual objects and polymorphic messages.

Colin