GLORP

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Tue Jun 8 00:58:19 UTC 2004

Rodrigo Gonçalves wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has anyone been working on the GLORP port? The latest one in SqueakMap
> is 0.2.34, which is very old.
>

> []'s
> Rodrigo

Radislov and I have been discussing just this topic.  Radislov did a
0.3.22 port some time ago (email him at rh at 4096.sk for the port).  I
started on a 0.3.63 port a few days ago, and it turned into more work
than I wanted to tackle at the moment.

This is what I told Radislov a day or so ago:

...the later versions of Glorp are getting more and more tightly tied to
underlying VisualWorks facilities -- a bunch of little snafu's like: use
of the VW-specific ExternalDatabaseAnswerStream, use of VW-specific
OrderedCollection protocol, use of cursors in a VW EXDI-specific manner,
etc.

A lot of the underlying dependent code just files right out of VW and
right into Squeak.  But, the license on such "copied" code is where the
rub is.  We legally can't be copying code out of VW and inserting it
into Squeak that way.

So, to be quite honest, I'm on the verge of ditching Glorp for our
bountifulbaby.com site.  But I could be easily swayed either way at this
point in time.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt

Bountiful Baby
http://www.bountifulbaby.com
The Most Complete Reborn Supply Store On The Web!

(801) 992-3137