[ENH] reposted: new String modifier: String>>asPlural

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jun 8 07:44:42 UTC 2004

Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote:
	Hmm... I should have posted this earlier since this ENH just got
	included, but does anyone else find the selector #asPlural problematic?
	  I always think of #as... specifying a new class and there is no Plural
	class.

I would point to the Duration>>asSeconds selector in ANSI Smalltalk
(5.8.2.8) as demonstrating that asXXX does *not* imply that XXX is a class.

For that matter, in Squeak we have
    Date>>asGregorian		(there is no Gregorian class)
    Date>>asJulianDayNumber     (there is no JulianDayNumber class)
    Float>>asApproximateFraction(there is no ApproximateFraction class)
    Float>>asTrueFraction       (spot the pattern?)
    Float>>asIEEE32BitWord      (it continues)
    Collection>>asSortedArray   (SortedCollection *is*, SortedArray *isn't*)
and at that point I decided enough prior art was enough.

I'm not saying that #asPlural _isn't_ problematic,
only that it is very far from being alone.