Problem with update 5947 changes to SimpleServiceEntry and BFAV2

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Jun 8 23:50:11 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 3:23 pm, Ken Causey wrote:

> With 5947 Ned changed performServiceFor: so that it assumes that is is
> supposed to extract the arguments with getArgumentsFrom:.  The more I
> think about it the more this seems like the correct thing to do.
> However I will note that performExtraFor: has not been updated to follow
> this convention.

A small oversight. I will fix this.

> Looks like it's not going to be that easy.  5947 changes things all over
> the place.  The services don't seem to standardize on wanting the just
> the filename anymore...

No. Where possible they use a stream.

> Namely, FileContentsBrowser
> class>>serviceBrowserCompressedCode expects something closer to a
> FileList than what the facade PatchArchiveAttachment provides.  It's
> just a bit funny that this facade was provides for BFAV by Ned. ;)

The entire provider interface is this (browse #getArgumentsFrom: and the
senders of #argumentGetter:):

fullName (returns a String with the full filename)
dirAndFileName (returns {directory. fileName})
readOnlyStream (returns an open read-only stream)

That's it.

I wish someone would give me a list of what actually is wrong.

I think that any client that doesn't go poking around in the
SimpleServiceEntry should be fine.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/