How did Alan's Turing Award go?

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Jun 11 17:27:29 UTC 2004

 Glenn Ehrlich  asked...

>Did anyone attend Alan's Turing Award banquet?
>
>Was there a lecture, if so, any links to it?

Alan did give a brief (*) talk in his inimitable style, giving credit to the many people who have inspired and supported him.  It was from the heart and he received a standing ovation at the end.  To the best of my knowledge the talk is not available on-line.

Note that the official "Turing Lecture" will be delivered as a precursor event to OOPSLA (Alan's choice) this October. Turing Lectures are not the same as, and not delivered at the same event as, the acceptance speech.

	- Dan

PS:  This is turning out to be THE year for our fearless leader.  I just heard that he has today been named "Laureate" (in the Advanced Technology category) by the Inamori Foundation and will receive the 2004 Kyoto Prize.  See
	http://www.inamori-f.or.jp/KyotoPrizes/contents_e/laureates/kp_thisyear.html
	http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Jun/1047805.htm

(*)  Maria Klawe, ACM president, was Master of Ceremonies.  Regarding the time allotted for his acceptance speech, she said she held up three fingers and asked, "Alan, how many fingers am I holding up?" to which Alan responded, "about fifteen."    ;-)