[ANN] "Pure" Ogg-Vorbis decoder

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jun 11 20:28:03 UTC 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Bryce Kampjes wrote:

> Dan Ingalls writes:
>> And yes; once it has been cleaned up and tested, plugins will do
>> wonders for the speed, though my enthusiasm lies more with JITs right
>> now (actually since the beginning * ;-).
>
> Methods like VorbisAudioPacket>>overlapAndWindow: look promising
> assuming that r is an Array.

Yes, in some quick profiling I did that was a major hotspot (mostly due
to Float>>negated, for some reason).  The other one was
ByteArray>>detectMax:, which I'm pretty sure you can easily get rid of
- just keep track of the maxLength as you put items into the lengths
array in the VorbisCodebook, and you won't have to look for it each
time.

I also wonder whether using FloatArray in some cases might be useful,
where Array is used now?

Avi