Dependency between monticello packages and squeakmap packages

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Jun 16 20:26:13 UTC 2004

On Jun 16, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Samir Saidani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to add dependency between a sar/cz/cz.gz package and a
> mcz package but I was unable to achieve such a thing. So I tried to
> take my .cz package and to monticelize it by using extension methods,
> but my problem is that the .cz package (in fact, Collections-Misc) is
> a kind of enhancement (not yet (?) in core) adding classes in several
> places, like Collections-Unordered and so one, and extension methods
> seem to not support this kind of addition.

To get that into an MC package, you would have to put your new classes
in a new category: have a Collections-Misc category that they all go in
rather than putting any in Collections-Unordered.  I realize that this
isn't ideal, but it's the best we can do for now.

However, that's a somewhat separate issue from dependencies.  You
shouldn't really use Monticello dependencies between packages that
aren't tightly related - really they're meant more as a "bundle" system
than as a configuration management system.  SqueakMap *ought* to handle
the kind of dependency you want, but that hasn't been implemented yet.
Maybe the best thing you could do is dive into the SqueakMap UIs (the
web server and the Package Loader) and implement it... I have the
modified model code somewhere.

Avi