Default UI preferences for 3.7

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Jun 16 23:41:13 UTC 2004

We had some threads awhile ago about various default UI preference
settings which were never really resolved... see forwarded message.  As
I'm preparing the 3.7gamma image, I thought we should probably do
something about this before 3.7 comes out.

For example, should the menu icons be turned on by default?  Should we
pick a narrower font for the window title font?  Etc.  It's difficult to
come to a consensus on these sorts of things, and then we tend to not do
anything about it and just go with the status quo.  Personally, I think
most of the current defaults are just fine, but I wouldn't mind changing
a couple of things.

My thought was to have a vote on the SqueakPeople site, similar to
previous votes we've had, except that we'd vote on all of the UI default
decisions at once.  (Only the ones that actually need a vote, of
course.)  So, for example, these might be the voting items:

1. Should menuWithIcons be turned on by default? (currently true)
2. Should gradientMenu preference be turned on by default? (currently true)
3. Should scrollbarsNarrow preference be turned on by default?
(currently true)
4. Should the scrollbar width be tied to the size of the default text
font as it currently is?
5. Should gradientScrollbars/alternativeWindowBoxesLook preferences be
turned on by default? (currently true)
6. Change window title font default to Accujen12? (considerably narrower
than the current BitstreamVeraSans11, but we lose antialiasing)

And then you'd vote on the SqueakPeople thread with a range between -1
(for strong opposition) and +1 (for strong support), as we've done with
previous votes.  (And you could add optional *brief* comments after your
vote if you wanted.)  Like this:

1. -1 (the menus just look a bit too cluttered with these on IMHO)
2. 0 (don't care)
3. 0
4. -1 (tying scrollbar size to one particular font and not others is too
arbitrary)
5. +1 (gradients look good!)
6. +0.5

We could add a few more items to the voting list, but we don't want it
to get too big.  Actually, I think most of the ones which came up on
squeak-dev are covered in my list above, but if someone feels strongly
about a particular preference, bring it up now and I could add it to the
list.

These voting items should all be things which can be set easily with a
preference, or a trivial code tweak.  Let's not get into more abstract
things like "Should we switch to a Skins look?" which would require
major code changes... we want to settle this stuff for 3.7 which is
about to go gamma.

It's also true that it's hard to come up with a coherent "look" if we're
voting on a bunch of interrelated look-related things one-by-one.  But I
think my examples above are mostly non-interrelated.  (And that's why I
grouped gradientScrollbars/alternativeWindowBoxesLook together as #5...
it wouldn't make much sense to have one turned on and the other turned
off by default.)

Thoughts?

If no one comes up with a radically better idea to decide these things,
I will add the poll to SqueakPeople sometime tomorrow.  If a vote is
near 50/50, it could be up to Diego & myself to be tie-breakers. ;-)

- Doug

Begin forwarded message: