Default UI preferences for 3.7

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jun 17 23:47:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:57:32AM -0400, Doug Way wrote:

> Good point, I'll add that one to the list.  Offhand, I'd say yes, we
> should switch to 32 bits.
>
> Pros:
> - Better rendering of colors, of course
> - Faster graphics performance for most, because most people will have
> their OS display depth set to 32 bits, and performance is usually best
> when the Squeak depth matches the OS depth
>
> Cons:
> - For those who have their OS display depth set to 16 bits, Squeak
> might show up as a black screen if the Squeak depth is 32 bits. (I've
> seen this on some platforms, anyway.)  However, these days very few
> people have their OS display depth set to 16 bits...
>
> - Doug

Let's take care to support Squeak users who might not have the latest
and greatest computer equipment. This might include school kids around
the world, and people who don't have a lot of money for luxury toys.
Hmmm, come to think if it, my own computer seems to have a 16 bit
display depth, so I'll add a plea on behalf of folks who are too lazy
to keep up with cutting edge technology.

Seriously, I have no idea how to determine what a "typical" Squeak user
might be, but when in doubt we should take special care to support
kids and ordinary people around the world. Perhaps the Squeakland
community could provide some guidance here.

Dave