Default UI preferences for 3.7

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Jun 18 04:11:35 UTC 2004

On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 07:47 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:57:32AM -0400, Doug Way wrote:
>>
>> Cons:
>> - For those who have their OS display depth set to 16 bits, Squeak
>> might show up as a black screen if the Squeak depth is 32 bits. (I've
>> seen this on some platforms, anyway.)  However, these days very few
>> people have their OS display depth set to 16 bits...
>
> Let's take care to support Squeak users who might not have the latest
> and greatest computer equipment. This might include school kids around
> the world, and people who don't have a lot of money for luxury toys.
> Hmmm, come to think if it, my own computer seems to have a 16 bit
> display depth, so I'll add a plea on behalf of folks who are too lazy
> to keep up with cutting edge technology.

True, but I wasn't really sure if this black screen thing was still
even a problem.  (I remember seeing it a long time ago on Squeak 2.3 or
somesuch.)  I just tested opening a saved 32-bit display depth Squeak
3.7 image on Windows (some 3.6 VM) with an OS screen depth of 16 bits,
and it looked fine.  And I also tried it on Mac OS X with the latest VM
and that was fine too.

So I think the "con" above may be a non-problem after all.  Someone
could give it a quick test on Linux or another platform to be safe.

- Doug