Accessing Excel sheets

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Jun 18 20:14:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:00:39PM +0100, Guenther Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to develop an application that needs to access MS Excel spreadsheets.
>
> I am very new to Smalltalk - Squeak and Morphic but I nevertheless think
> that I'll manage to write that app in Squeak, the biggest obstacle right
> know is accessing those spreadsheets, no clue sofar.
>
> Any tip would be truly appreciated,

There is Perl code to access and create Excel sheets:

see:

http://search.cpan.org/~kwitknr/Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.2603/ParseExcel.pm

There is also a WriteExcel module (by a different author, go figure).

http://search.cpan.org/~jmcnamara/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-2.02/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm

You could use those as references and samples of working code.  I am
sure that a version in Smalltalk would be much cleaner than Perl :-)

--Patrick