Default UI preferences for 3.7

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Jun 19 20:50:41 UTC 2004

On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 02:09 AM, Russell Penney wrote:

> Can I suggest that it should really be made a primitive to decide at
> startup
> the correct depth to start at? In fact I assumed that is what it did.
>
> The statement "very few people have their OS display depth set to 16
> bits..." sounds a bit dodgy to me seeing Squeak is run on many
> different
> systems and at least some are old equipment.
>
> Of course you need to do this quickly so how about the compromise of:
>
> SomeClass (not sure where)>>initialDisplayDepth
>
> 	<non-existent primitive>
> 	^32
>
> That is used to load the preference unless its overridden.

Actually, after poking around in DisplayScreen, it looks like this
primitive does exist.  (I remember it didn't exist in the early days...
I don't remember exactly when it was added.)

See DisplayScreen class>>actualScreenSize... this returns the native OS
screen depth (if the primitive is implemented for that platform).

We probably should just have the Squeak depth set to match the native
depth on startup.  However, I'm not sure about adding this at this late
date for 3.7, since it would be a new thing in the system startup... we
could wait for 3.8alpha and then try that.

Maybe we should not bother making any display depth change for 3.7,
then.

- Doug