DateTime's and LargeIntegers

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Jun 29 06:40:35 UTC 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 10:32 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:17:20PM -0700, Ned Konz wrote:
> > On Monday 28 June 2004 9:51 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > LargeIntegers is listed as a built in module, but not a loaded
> > > module.  From the comments on the methods, this appears to mean the
> > > plugin is not active.
> >
> > Looks like it's there to me:
>
> You're right.  For my next trick, I'll learn to read.
>
> So does this mean that the crummy performance I've been getting is
> with the assistance of the plugin?

I don't know. Maybe.

If you can send a profile log to the list, maybe someone could suggest
something.

Look at suspect LargeInteger methods and see if they call the primitives.

You can comment out the primitive calls in specific methods if you want to see
how much slower it is *without* the plugin.

But usually it's not the fault of the plugin in cases like this. It sounds to
me like maybe there's too much garbage collection going on, or too many
unnecessary conversions, or something.

For instance, if you're using SortedCollection for big collections of DateTime
instances that are being changed a lot, you should probably be using some
other kind of collection that's more efficient.

> Obviously, I need to look elsewhere for redemption in that case.
>
> Out of curiosity, since the list of BuiltinModules was much larger
> than the list of LoadedModules, how do I activate the other
> modules/plugins?

You use them. When a method in one of them is needed, it's loaded.

> For that matter, if I unload the LargeInteger module (I was able to
> find that command), how can I reload it?  Other than restarting the
> vm, that is...  I suppose I also don't know if Linux is one of the
> systems that supports unloading modules.  A final issue is whether one
> can unload a builtin module at all.

I don't know how you would.

--
Ned Konz