3.7beta planned for this Friday, March 5

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 3 08:54:39 UTC 2004

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 2, 2004, at 07:44 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
> > goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> >> Yes. Having a Guide account seems smart. I think. Think, think...
> >> Well, need to dwell a bit on that.
> >
> > Hmm... doesn't sound like a great idea to me, though it'll obviously
> > work in the short term.  But we lose any information about *which*
> > guide posted such and such a version, etc.  Would be much better to
> > have a flag to mark a package as being a base package and a flag to
> > mark a user as a guide.  Then the security can just allow those users
> > into those packages.  Not sure how much work that actually is, etc...
>
> Yeah, I was thinking of something like that as an alternative, too.
> That may actually be a better solution, although it's a bit more work
> for Goran.

Yes, but perhaps we should actually try to do this right.
Marking people as Guides is trivial, I can do that today using
categories.
And marking packages as "official" is also trivial, again categories.
Then adding the additional check/access point in the web UI is not hard
either.

Ok, I added it to my SM todo list. :)

> - Doug

regards, Göran