Opening several images on Os X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 4 03:38:32 UTC 2004

Right this is a hold over from way way back. If the os-7/8.x
application had the server bit set
then it would allow you to run multiple instances of it at the same
time from your appleshare
file server.  We've never done this and in transition to os-x, perhaps
newer rules exist.

One which you've discovered is that if you double-click on a image it
actually sends an
open document command to the specific targeted application for the
document, or to the
default application that handles this document type. This results in
either the application being
started and an AppleScript open document command given to it, or if
it's already running then
just the open document command is handed to the application, this
percolates up from the
drag and drop logic to the image event handler logic and based on image
type the smalltalk code is clueless
what to do, so it opens the text document on the image file.

In the past I did at one time open the Interpreter simulator since I
knew it was an image file, which was kinda fun.

However  one could change that Smalltalk code to actually launch a
Squeak VM with the
document instead as an alternative.

Mind having multiple copies of the VM around is also doable.

On Mar 3, 2004, at 9:19 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> I feel very chatty today ...
>
> Is there a way to open several images simultaneously on os X ?
> When I attempt to do so, the second image file opens as a file
> in the first image ...
>
> IIRC I use the Carbon VM, version 3.6.1 beta 5
>
> Thanks in advance,
> 	Romain

===