[BUG][SM2] error on loading updates

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Mar 4 21:31:57 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:
> I had a fully-updated Squeak image that I'd left running overnight with a
> PackageLoader visible.
>
> This morning I told it to 'load updates' and got a 'primitive failed'
> notification.
>
> Looking into it a bit further, I saw that:
>
> in SMSqueakMap>>saveCheckpoint:
> because of 'loadUpdates'
>
> url is
> 'http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/loadgz?mapversion=2.0&checkpoint=376'

It seems that your load of updates triggered a new checkpoint (which is
perfectly in order - that is how it works right now) but obviously the
image on the server wasn't in synch with the checkpoints on disk.

This was surely due to the problem Ken has emailed me about, somehow the
server got "hung" while trying to make a checkpoint. Ken toasted the
failed checkpoint and restarted. This means that someone probably lost
some change they did to the master SM.

Given the stability of SM so far I am not overly worried. :) And we will
in time move away from using ImageSegment checkpoints like this.

regards, Göran