Opening several images on Os X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 5 04:32:05 UTC 2004

These parms  are in the info.plist buried in your squeak.app which you
can double click on to  invoke the property list editor. Mind you
can invoke a text editor and edit the xml directly. You'll find these
XML keys and definitions to control how
Squeak builds the window and how it deals with file character sets, and
memory allocation.

I think you could setup a squeak application which is a floating window
with no borders etc
and you can type into, always there, certainly not the normal squeak
window, yet it is squeak....

Controls the encoding for file names, macintosh or UTF-8
	<key>SqueakEncodingType</key>
	<string>macintosh</string>

If the floating window should  get focus and accept typing on a click
event.
	<key>SqueakFloatingWindowGetsFocus</key>
	<true/>

Max virtual memory size, sizes > 1GB have VM limitations
	<key>SqueakMaxHeapSize</key>
	<integer>536870912</integer>

Squeak window has title? true/false
	<key>SqueakWindowHasTitle</key>
	<true/>

These control the window types and behavior
	<key>SqueakWindowType</key>
	<integer>6</integer>

	<key>SqueakWindowAttribute</key>
	<data>
	ggAAHg==
	</data>

SqueakWindowAttribute is normally
kWindowHorizontalZoomAttribute+ kWindowVerticalZoomAttribute+
kWindowCollapseBoxAttribute+ kWindowResizableAttribute+
kWindowNoConstrainAttribute+ kWindowStandardHandlerAttribute

The SqueakWindowType of 6 is the standard document window, a type of 8
is the floating utility window. The attributes control with window
attributes and behavior according to
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/
HumanInterfaceToolbox/WindowManager/Window_Manager/wind_mgr_ref/
constant_2.html#//apple_ref/c/tdef/WindowAttributes
&
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/
HumanInterfaceToolbox/WindowManager/Window_Manager/wind_mgr_ref/
constant_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/c_ref/WindowClass

typedef UInt32 WindowClass;
enum {
    kAlertWindowClass = 1,
    kMovableAlertWindowClass = 2,
    kModalWindowClass = 3,
    kMovableModalWindowClass = 4,
    kFloatingWindowClass = 5,
    kDocumentWindowClass = 6,
    kUtilityWindowClass = 8,
    kHelpWindowClass = 10,
    kSheetWindowClass = 11,
    kToolbarWindowClass = 12,
    kPlainWindowClass = 13,
    kOverlayWindowClass = 14,
    kSheetAlertWindowClass = 15,
    kAltPlainWindowClass = 16,
    kDrawerWindowClass = 20,
    kAllWindowClasses = 0xFFFFFFFF
};

typedef UInt32 WindowAttributes;
enum {
    kWindowNoAttributes = 0,
    kWindowCloseBoxAttribute = (1L << 0),
    kWindowHorizontalZoomAttribute = (1L << 1),
    kWindowVerticalZoomAttribute = (1L << 2),
    kWindowFullZoomAttribute = (kWindowVerticalZoomAttribute |
kWindowHorizontalZoomAttribute),
    kWindowCollapseBoxAttribute = (1L << 3),
    kWindowResizableAttribute = (1L << 4),
    kWindowSideTitlebarAttribute = (1L << 5),
    kWindowToolbarButtonAttribute = (1L << 6),
    kWindowMetalAttribute = (1L << 8),
    kWindowNoUpdatesAttribute = (1L << 16),
    kWindowNoActivatesAttribute = (1L << 17),
    kWindowOpaqueForEventsAttribute = (1L << 18),
    kWindowCompositingAttribute = (1L << 19),
    kWindowNoShadowAttribute = (1L << 21),
    kWindowHideOnSuspendAttribute = (1L << 24),
    kWindowStandardHandlerAttribute = (1L << 25),
    kWindowHideOnFullScreenAttribute = (1L << 26),
    kWindowInWindowMenuAttribute = (1L << 27),
    kWindowLiveResizeAttribute = (1L << 28),
    kWindowIgnoreClicksAttribute = (1L << 29),
    kWindowNoConstrainAttribute = (1L << 31),
    kWindowStandardDocumentAttributes = (kWindowCloseBoxAttribute
| kWindowFullZoomAttribute | kWindowCollapseBoxAttribute |
kWindowResizableAttribute),
    kWindowStandardFloatingAttributes = (kWindowCloseBoxAttribute

On Mar 4, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Launchbar (or quicksilver)
>  is an app which binds a key sequence (command-space by default)
> to a little textfield in which you can type abbreviations.
> These abbreviations are then matched against a set of files
> (possibly all your files), and the app presents you the possible
> files (it also learns your abbreviations in the process),
> and opens the file selected.
> It's a kind of google on your hard drive ;-).
>
> Le 4 mars 04, à 15:17, John M McIntosh a écrit :
>
>> Well I'm not sure what your launchbar clone does, but I'll point out
>> you can alter the carbon
>> vm so that the window type is a floating palette, thus mimic the
>> behavior of the Dock as an
>> example, or a DVD/media  control pad.
>
> I don't really see what you mean (and as an aside, I don't really see
> me
> altering the vm for now ;-))

>> =====
>> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> 1-800-477-2659