New look doesn't necessary means better look

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Mar 7 05:38:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> >   The world menu in Squeak3.7a-5764 looks, ..., too great to me.  The
> > uneven linespacing, caused by the icons, is very unusual thing to see
> > and hard to use indeed because the same amount of mouse movement
> > results in different offsets of the menu items.
>
> I agree. It's a bit too much for me. I am all for sprucing up Squeak so it
> is more accessible to outsiders, but some of this ...

Doh! Forgot to say everything...

I for one can't stand icons in menus, especially when they're taller than
the regular entry. But even more polished setups that put icons in menus-
KDE is rife with them, also, some Microsoft apps like Office- it still
comes off as very messy, IMHO.  Just of one those things that seem to
slow things down (at least, I notice on the PDAs I work with ... :P ) but
without adding much in the way of usability, for both a more average
end-user and a power-user/developer like myself.

Regards,
Aaron