New look doesn't necessary means better look

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sun Mar 7 08:10:35 UTC 2004

  Diego,

> The scroll-bar sizes are based on the size of the font you use.  The new look&feel base most (if not all [*]) sizes in the size of the default font, assuming that if you use bigger fonts you need bigger widgets.
>
> The current default font size is a little small for 1024x768
> resolution.

  I didn't aware of that the scroll bar width is based on the font
size...  It wouldn't be that sensitive thing to do as our finger size,
or the mouse pointer speed are not dictated by the font size?

  In regards to the icon menus, all the items should have the
graphical icons.  If not, it wouldn't be so useful.

  I would say that iconic menus would be useful if the icons can carry
enough infomation and the text label is the complimentary thing.  If
it is opposite, the icons are just extra thing which doesn't
contribute too much.

  Having such widget would be good for a custom application developer.
They can make good icons and use your code to make nice menus.  But
the current out-of-the-box 'world menu' isn't something I'd want to
use when I'm writing code.

> See how looks with bigger (and TTF) fonts in Small-Land image:
>
>   http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/1/look-bigger-fonts.jpeg
>   http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/58/Squeak1024x768.png

  Thanks!  Yes, I saw this and I was so sure that the icon size are
designed for a particular setting which isn't the one for the
developers' vanilla image.  We have to think about the adaptation of
new look to the developers' vanilla image.  Surely, I'd like to have a
way to let newbies know that there are such alternative looks, in a
line of the old PWM windows.

-- Yoshiki