New look doesn't necessary means better look

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 9 16:29:17 UTC 2004

As a generalization, aesthetics are hard to obtain by making one change
at a time.  How about we have a mini-contest to produce a good set of
preferences that generate a good-looking Squeak screen?  The winner is
what is used in 3.8, though nice winners would include clear
improvements that were included in other submissions.

To enter, submitters can simply post a screenshot plus some directions
to get to the appropriate state.

I don't know who gets to vote.  Do enough people use SqueakPeople that
we could use its internal rating system?  IMHO, we don't need to have a
totally fair voting system, so long as all participants are reasonable,
but it would be nice to have *some* demarcation between real Squeak
users and random folks off the net.

If this sounds good I can set up a swiki page and we can pick a
deadline.  This could be something we do before each release.

-Lex

PS -- I'd really love to see a *base image* contest, where someone lays
out the Welcome to Squeak windows and the various projects that are
included by default.  But so far not a single person has made a proposed
alternative image.  Ah well.