Why multiple change files?

tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Mar 7 19:20:57 UTC 2004

Ned Konz wrote:

> What would it take to do this?
>
> It looks as if we have 26 bits to play with in the CompiledMethod format.

The new CompiledMethod format changes would allow much more than this;
since the source pointer could be any object able to respond to the
right message. In-image strings, remote strings, database accesses,
encrypted strings, whatever.

I suspect there were two reasons for the external changes files back in
the old days.
a) memory space was limited and having a pointer to a string in a file
saved a great deal of space
b) OSs (such as they were) were so much less reliable than the
marvellous, reliable, carefully designed wonders of modern times[1]. An
external file, frequently flushed, gave some security for your code.

I suspect that Trygve might be happier with something like moticello
along with some way of MC keeping a log rather like the changefile. OR
does it already do that?

tim
[1] Sarcastic, me?