Just some thoughts about annoying popups

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Sun Mar 7 20:45:02 UTC 2004

I don't know how others feel about this, but I find it annoying while
installing some packages from SqueakMap, that they present an "Loading
package xyz. OK" popup before loading a prerequisite. If I start to load a
huge package with a long list of prerequisites and leave the room to fetch a
good cup of tea in the meantime in the hope that on my return I can continue
to work, I'm confronted with this ... popup that expected me to click on OK
minutes ago just to continue.
I tend to share the opinion, that popup windows/menus with only one possible
choice are always useless (like in this case). I favour it much more if
information about the installing process or hints about how to proceed after
the installation are placed in seperate windows and made visible after the
installation succeeded.
Another thing that caught my eye was a question like "Would you like to open
XYZ now?" popping up after installation of the package XYZ. Now I have to
click on YES to see the window and NO if I don't want to see the window. I
would suggest to remove this popup completely. If I just installed the
package XYZ chances are very very good that I also want to work with that
package and want to see the window right after installation. So the user gets
what he wants without any further ado (no popup, no clicks). In the not so
likely case, that the user does not want to see the window after
installation, it's just a matter for the user to click on the window's close
button and that is as bad or as good as clicking on NO like before.
I don't want to be nitpicking here, but these things sum up and just get in
the way.

Alex