Back to the issue... (was RE: Squeak coding style...)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Mar 8 04:47:26 UTC 2004

I wrote:
	One obvious tool would be a comment collector.
	This would collect class comments from all the ancestral classes
	into one TextMorph, so that I could see all the relevant comments

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> replied:
	Did you know that there are tools in Squeak already for these
	directions of exploration?

Yes, I did.

	They aren't the single step that your comment collector would
	be, but they are still fairly efficient, and they do allow some
	extra stuff in addition to looking at comments.

I don't know what "efficient" means here, but it clearly doesn't mean
"efficient use of the *programmer's* time".

	For looking at class comments, you can use the hierarchy browser.

I know about the hierarchy browser and it is exactly that which makes
me want a comment collector.  The point of the comment collector is to
have _all_ the class comments that apply to a class in one place so that
you can easily see more than one comment at a time without excessive
clutter.

	Similarly, if you do "inheritance" while looking at a menu, or
	if you press the "inheritance" button in a browser, then you can
	look at a method plus all the methods it overrides.

Again, I know about that, and it is the experience of using it which
makes me wish for something else.

This is something I probably *can* do for myself, when (ah, when?) I can
find the time.  This is an extremely busy time of year, and my knee still
isn't quite right.  It is one of the glories of Smalltalk in general and
Squeak in particular that the programmer's interface _can_ be programmed
without enormous pain.  That does not mean that we have everything right
yet, and sometimes someone who wishes for a new feature really does know
about the relevant old features.