Rewind! (was Re: Back to the issue... (was RE: Squeak coding style...))

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 8 17:52:56 UTC 2004

It may be nice to ressurect things like the earlier "class comment
challenge" but to pump them up a little.  We could have one challenge
running at a time.  To get some interest in the discussion, we could
post a weekly top-10 bad class categories in Squeak.

Unfortunately, it is quite hard to get past "having a comment" to
"having a good comment".  I am unsure how to get people browsing through
the system and looking at comments and fixing them and -- most
importantly of all -- letting the original authors know that a comment
is unhelpful or confusing.  Most people are uncomfortable writing
someone and saying "your comments suck", but this sort of feedback is
important.  One way might be that people vote on their favorite category
to improve, and then we pick a different category each week to work on.

After the comments challenge, an examples challenge would be good.  Make
sure that lots of classes have example methods that are findable.  Along
the way, we could standardize on an "examples" class category to the
extent it seems sensible.

Finally, a good challenge would be to look at some cookbook for another
language--or make up our own--and see how many of these things are easy
to figure out in Squeak.  A silly example of this is the "hello world"
challenge that went around once a long time ago and is now available on
the Swiki.  For bigger examples just go look at the cookbook on the
Swiki -- that's the level of how-to I am thinking of.

Oh, and I'd *love* to have an occasional competition for the contents of
the base image.  The winner is the image czar until the next competition
occurs.  And we can distribute the losing images, too, so long as
someone wants to maintain them.  While the current image is wonderful, I
fear it is slipping out of date over time.

Just some thoughts.    To generalize, I seem to be suggesting that we
simply pick focus areas one at a time and then have everyone who has no
better idea on what to do, work on the focus area.

Lex Spoon