Minor bugs in squeak 3.6 BFAV

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Mar 9 22:34:25 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 12:31 pm, Ken Causey wrote:
> > The problem basically is that you cannot install via SqueakMap a package
> > that is not listed on SqueakMap.
>
> Why not?
>
> m _ SMSqueakMap default.
> r _ (SMResource forUrl:
> 'http://bikenomad.microship.com/squeak/monticello/Connectors/Connectors-nk.110.mcz').
> r map: m id: UUID new.
> r name: 'Something Wacky'.
> m addObject: r.
> (SMMcInstaller packageRelease: r) install

Hehe, you Ned-hacker! That is so dirty... ;-) You even used SMResource
which I don't even use yet!

Let me think - are you using this hack somewhere? Just so people know -
this is code that I can NOT promise will work in the future. :)

r isn't even an SMPackageRelease in the above code, and the mark left in
the installedPackages dict in the map will refer to the UUID just
created. But as soon as you load updates from the net this SMResource
will be toast because the map is replaced with a snapshot from the
server - and that resource is of course only local.

So... well, if you are a Ned-hacker you probably are aware of all these
interesting side effects and don't care! If you are not - then don't say
I didn't warn you! :)

Finally - is there an obscure need here that anyone want me to provide?

regards, Göran