[UPDATES] 52 for Squeak3.7alpha

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 10 09:53:33 UTC 2004

At 12:10 AM -0800 3/10/04, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>Not exactly sure what changed here... I think it was just the line spacing... but I found this post much harder to read all of a sudden than any previous updates posting...
>
>Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it in case it was an experiment :)

Here's a version of the preambles that should be less annoying to read...

*** 5765q01-eToyFixes-sw***
"Change Set:	q01-etoyFixes-sw
Date:			11 March 2003
Author:			Scott Wallace

*  When the user renames a script, script-firing buttons will now automatically be relabeled, unless they have already manually been edited, and will be fixed up so that they properly fire the renamed script.
*  When the user asks to remove an instance variable, a check is now made to see if any scripts belonging to the object currently use that variable -- if so, permission to remove the variable is denied.  If not, a further check is made to see if there are any extant scripts in *other* objects that may reference that instance variable, and if any are found, a warning is put up.
*  The menu item that offered the user the opportunity to rename an instance variable is suppressed -- too many ways things can go wrong there.
*  The halo menu for script-activation-buttons is considerably fixed up -- it had been showing quite a few items in two places.
*  Provides a class comment for ScriptActivationButton.

This version adapted 3/2/04 by Scott Wallace from Squeakland update 0147eToyFixes-sw.  The methods that required manual reintegration with 3.7a were:

Player.slotInfoButtonHitFor:inViewer:
ScriptActivationButton.addCustomMenuItems:hand:
"

*** 5766q02-trails-sw***
"Change Set:		q02-trails-sw
Date:			4 March 2004
Author:			Scott Wallace

Created by merging the following four pen-trail-related updates from Squeakland, then integrating them with Squeak 3.7a/5764 (quite a few collisions were encountered):
  0148arrowShaft-sw
  0149arrowhead-sw
  0153dotsTrailStyle-sw
  0155dotsTrail-sw

NB:  Assumes the subsequent loading of the PasteUpMorph>>additionsToViewerCategories method in the 'textInEToys-sw' update.

Allows pen trails to be lines, linesAndArrows, or just arrows.  Consult the pen-trails category in viewers.

NB:  Restores method Preference.setArrowheads, which was erroneously removed by KCP update 5480KCP97NewPointOrNil.

Adds a new trail-style called 'dots' to the etoy system.

Also, guards SearchingViewer against putting up a gratuitous informer when Vocabulary is reinitialized

* Adds a new trail-style called 'dots' to the etoy system.
* Terminology changes:
  - 'arrows' is now 'arrowheads'
  -  'lines and arrows' is now 'arrows'.
* pen-trails submenu in the halo-menu is split off as a stand-alone menu, so that it can conveniently be made permanent if desired.
* 'dotSize' variable governs size of dot.  Defaults to 6, the smallest size at which dots start seeming round, but the user can set it to any value between 1 and 100.
* Also, guards SearchingViewer against putting up a gratuitous informer when Vocabulary is reinitialized."

*** 5767q03-textInEToys-sw***
"Change Set:		q03-textInEtoys-sw
Date:			22 May 2003
Author:			Scott Wallace

Some extensions affording etoy access to text-handling functions.
Also, some extensions to and rewordings of functions relating to 'telling.'

Adapted from update 0170textInEToys-sw of Squeakland; integrated with Squeak 3.7a by Scott Wallace on 3/3/04."

*** 5768q04-variables-sw***
"Change Set:		q04-variables-sw
Date:			3 March 2004
Author:			Scott Wallace

Derived for 3.7a from Squeakland updates: 0151variables-sw.cs, dated 18 March 2003
0152bolderV-sw, dated 20 March 2003
0165variablesFixes-sw,  dated 15 April 2003

There were numerous collisions with recent 3.7a code.

Use the term 'variable' rather than 'instance variable' in the etoy UI.  Also parameterize the term for used for both this and the user-scripts category, so that the next time we want to make a change like this it will be much easier.

Add a 'v' button added to the header of a Viewer that serves to add a variable, and remove the corresponding menu item  from the Viewer menu.

All of these changes made at the Kim's request.'"

*** 5769q05-stickyPadEtc-sw***
"Change Set:	q05-stickyPadEtc-sw
Date:			4 March 2004
Author:			Scott Wallace

Derived primarily from Squeakland update 0154stickyPad-sw.
Also subsumes Squeakland updates 0150supplies-sw and 0159stopStepGoHelp-sw

Adds a new item to the Squeakland Supplies bin, which delivers up translucent, borderless Rectangles in a sequence of 6 colors.  Requested by Kim Rose.
Tweaks the wording of the help-message for the all-scripts-tool as requested by Kim.

Modifies the Supplies flap used in the plug-in image such that it no longer offers the paint-invoking icon."

*** 5770q06-navBar-sw***
"Change Set:		q06-navBar-sw
Date:				3 March 2004
Author:				Scott Wallace, Michael Rueger

Merges code for the ProjectNavigationMorph from several Squeakland updates:

0156navigatorHelp-sw  of 18 April 2003
0157quitButton-sw of 21 April 2003
0185noTabsInNavBar-sw of 19 December 2003
0195navLangButton (by Michael Rueger) of 29 Feb 2004.

Changes wording of balloon help for a couple of navigator buttons, as per Kim.
Eliminates the show-tabs/hide-tabs button from the nav-bar.
Adds a button to the navigator bar for switching the etoy tile language."

*** 5771q07-preserveSounds-sw***
"Change Set:	q07-preserveSounds-sw
Date:			14 April 2003
Author:			Scott Wallace

Adapted for 3.7a on 4 March 2004 from Squeakland updates 0160preserveSounds-sw and 0164bareSoundTile-sw and one method also plucked out from 0186soundImprovements-sw.  Note that also essential is ProjectLoading.openName: stream: fromDirectory:withProjectView:, whose code, integrated with the sound-preservation code of this update, will arrive in the next update, securityEtc-mir.

Writes out relevant additions to the sound library along with a saved project, so that sounds used in a project in one image and referenced in its scripts or in any instance variable well be accessible in images into which the saved project is subsequently loaded.

Extends the sound-preservation logic so that sounds referenced by bare sound tiles visible in the project are also preserved -- formerly, they had to have been used somewhere in the etoy structures of the project."

*** 5772q08-securityEtc-mir***
"Change Set:		q08-securityEtc-mir
Date:			10 November 2003
Author:			Michael Rueger

Derived from Squeakland updates
0183localSecurity.cs, 0184reportAndFix.cs, and 0187loadFix.cs

Integrated with Squeak 3.7a by Scott Wallace, 4 March 04; there were several collisions that needed fixing up.

This update consists of three parts:
- hides the progress morph until the publishing actually starts (after the user selected a directory)
- changes the project loading logic so sandboxing can independently be en/disabled for local and remote projects (default is local-off, remote-on)
- add a storeLog button to the notifier to allow users to explicitely write a log after an interrupt.

and from the reportAndFix update of Squeakland...

Changes the error report button, applies the timestamping to automatic debug logs as well (controlled by a Preference debugLogTimestamp), adds a workaround for safari messing up underscores.

Fixes a problem with loading a project containing projects."

*** 5773q09-colorCsTT-nk***
"Change Set:		q09-colorCsTT-nk
Date:			9 July 2003
Author:			Ned Konz

Adopted for Squeak 3.7a on 3/4/04 (sw), from Squeakland update 0162colorCsTurtleTrails-nk.cs.  There were three collisions with MCP changes but in each case Ned's Squeakland version subsumed the MCP change, so all the code in this update is identical to the Squeakland version.

* Makes turtle trails appear above the background sketch if any
* Makes #color:sees: and #touchesColor: tests work right with display depths > 8.
* Makes #color:sees: and #touchesColor: work right in the World
* Makes the grid visible to #color:sees:, #colorUnder and #touchesColor:

It may break some scripts that use #color:sees: or #touchesColor: on playfields that have background grids, if the color being sought is exactly the same color as the color of the grid. To fix these scripts, change the grid color slightly.

It also will use more memory for the turtle trails form when your display depth is > 8. However, this memory will be discarded before saving the image.

This change set also removes an unnecessary ColorPatchCanvas copy that was in #patchAt:without:andNothingAbove:

v2: made sure that backgroundMorph gets nil'd out when it's unlocked and then deleted."

*** 5774q10-flapsText-mir***
"Change Set:	q10-flapsText-mir
Date:			10 September 2003
Author:			Michael Rueger

Allows the text of the Flaps Help window to be obtained even in image that has its changes file stripped.