need more space/ want to monitor time/space usage

Ralph Boland ralph.boland at acadiau.ca
Fri Mar 12 00:28:38 UTC 2004

I run out of space using Squeak on a 256M  linux (slackware 9.0) system
when Squeak reaches about 50M of image size.

Is there a way to increase this amount of memory?

Assuming that I can increase the amount of memory available to Squeak to
(say)  200M
will I not then have a problem that when I am not actually using a lot
of memory Squeak
will nevertheless decline to garbage collect until something close to
200M is actually used?
Thus I will have a large image file unless
I explicitely do a garbage collect before saving my image.
Other applications also might be unhappy with this greedy Squeak process.
Ideally Squeak would set the amount of system memory it uses as a
function of
Squeak user memory actually in use.

Is there a way to monitor what class of objects is/are using the most
memory?

While I'm here,  is there a way to profile where the time is spent when
I run
an application?
My applications can be time consuming.

Thanks