Squeak in Robotics

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 12 15:44:19 UTC 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 1:27 am, Roderick Taylor wrote:

> 1. Port it to a BlueMod board (XScale Microprocessor) that
> only has a text/terminal style interface at most.  We want to
> do this without Windows CE because we don't want to fork out
> money for licenses. uClinux is the most attractive option.
> 2. Communicate between squeak VMs (PC to BlueMod, PDA to
> BlueMod, BlueMod to BlueMod, BlueMod to whatever etc.) using
> some distributed object model.

> Serge Stinckwich about what he's doing, Stephen Pair about
> Magma and Craig Latta about Squat.

And Jon Hylands about his use of Squeak for robotics, and Tim Rowledge, who's
ported the Squeak VM to the DEC Itsy chip...

You should be able to use the existing Unix VM (I think); you will probably
have to re-(cross)compile it.

Just use

-vm display=none
-vm sound=null

As far as remote object communications, there are a number of options.

You may want to look at my Spread plugin, which could be used as the network
infrastructure for a number of different distribution architectures. This
would give you the advantage of having one-to-many as well as one-to-one
communications.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/