Learning Smalltalk

Michael Grant mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 19:10:37 UTC 2004

Couple of thoughts from another beginner:

--- Gary Fisher <gafisher at sprynet.com> wrote:
> Mike (Flippin);

Gary hit my on-again off-again learning path with the
paragraph below. I think the appeal is the brevity
helps with a hands AT ALL TIMES approach--so much more
important with SM than some other languages. I also
found the tutorials helpful but was initials
frustrated with finding things--it seems many people
are. THE CURIOUS thing is that, over time, where to
find things becomes instinctive or something--go
figure. Just be patient and soon you'll be hitting all
right links.

The Squeak forum community is super. Use it.

Enjoy Squeak...maybe I can get back to it soon, sigh!
:o(

Best regards to the community.

'Start-Stop' Michael Grant

PS Gary's right. Development is fast. Thinking
stability and a more 'M$ Windows' environment, I
considered going to Dolphin or or Cincom but the
Squeak milieu is just too interesting. Plus the fact
is a lot of people are trying a lot of different
things with Squeak.

PPS BTW, once you get into a rhythm it just fun. Just
don't stop or you have retrack on that learning curve.

PPPS I especially like the 'Joe the Box' in Guzdial's
book. It is a pretty good distillation of the very
basic basics.

http://www.squeakland.org/sqmedia/books/squeakerbooks.html.