Entering code

Aaron Lanterman lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 13 06:31:15 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I'm currently working on writing my first real Smalltalk program, "real"
as in a program to solve an actual problem I need solved, and not a toy
example just to get used to the language.

Two quick questions:

1) One thing is driving me completely nuts: Sometimes I'll be writing a
method, and would like to leave it half finished - maybe making reference
to a new instance variable I now realize I need - look around at some
other stuff, and then go back to it. But when I do that, it asks if I want
to save changes, and it forces me to accept it in order to save the
changes, but it will only accept it if it's a real working piece of code.
To work around this problem I generally have a lot of browser windows
open.

Is there a way to tell Squeak, "look, don't compile this yet, it's not
ready to go, but please do save the text, I promise I'll come back to it?"

When I'm editing my MATLAB functions, it's perfectly alright for me to be
bouncing back and fourth between five different functions, all stored in
different files, each partially finished as I'm writing something.

2) Suppose you meant to make a class method, but you forgot to hit class
and wind up entering it as an instance method. Is there an easy way to
tell squeak "hey, this is currently an instance method, but that's not
right, just move this over to the class side?" (i.e. without cutting and
pasting the code and all that)

Thanks!

- Aaron

Dr. Aaron Lanterman, Asst. Prof.       Voice:  404-385-2548
School of Electrical and Comp. Eng.    Fax:    404-894-8363
Georgia Institute of Technology        E-mail: lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Mail Code 0250                         Web:    users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma
Atlanta, GA 30332                      Office: GCATT 334B