[FAQ] Bugs/Fixes/Enhancements and the lists

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat Mar 13 16:46:24 UTC 2004

I've seen a couple of posts today that seem to indicate continuing
confusion over the two lists to which bug/fix/enh reports go and how
BFAV handles them.  So I'm going to spell it out here.  None of this is
new and it has been mentioned on the list in various forms in many ways
before.

Currently the BFAV server is subscribed and listens to two mailing
lists:

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org

and

squeak-harvest at lists.squeakfoundation.org

The first of course is our standard mailing list whereas the second is a
publicly readable list but is intended to only be used by BFAV2 in a
private manner.

Whenever manually sending out any new report or a comment on an existing
report and not using the facilities provided by the BFAV2 client ALWAYS
send them to squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org without exception.
squeak-harvest at lists.squeakfoundation.org is an open list to ensure that
anyone anywhere can use BFAV2 without having to sign up on a new mailing
list.  However because of this the BFAV2 server itself ignores any posts
that do not originate from the BFAV2 client so that we do not end up
with a bunch of spurious entries in BFAV2 (possibly including spam and
virus output).

Whenever you use BFAV2 to send out a report you sometimes have the
opportunity to choose to send the report to either 'Squeak List'
(squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org) or 'BFAV Server'
(squeak-harvest at lists.squeakfoundation.org).  To decide which to choose
consider:

1.  If your report and comments are not likely to be of any interest to
anyone other than the harvesters then choose 'BFAV Server'.

2.  In any other case choose 'Squeak List'.

In general if your report contains nothing more than a simple review of
an existing report and it's intended audience is the harvester who will
decide whether or not to approve the submission then you can choose
'BFAV Server'.  However if you post contains any new information,
whether as code in a submitted attachment or in the body of the message
then that post should be sent to the 'Squeak List' where it is more
likely to be seen.

If you are at all uncertain then choose 'Squeak List'.

Ken