Entering code

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Tue Mar 16 10:54:18 UTC 2004

Colin,

I haven't got the original Tectronix browser, but I have our own
derivative. A screen shot is attached.

The lower pane is the normal code pane.
The lists from left to right are
     The normal categories
     The usual classes within the selected category
     The third column is split into two:
     -  The bottom list is a multiple selection list of superclasses,
class, subclasses
     -  The top list shows the protocols in the classes selected below.
             Protocols of the selected class are shown bold
     -  The third column shows methods of the selected classes/protocols.
             Methods of the selected class are shown bold
             All methods in all selected classes are shown, so it is
             possible to browse e.g., the 'super release' method.
The buttons are
     'supers' - automatically select all superclasses except Object
     'subs'   - automatically select all subclasses
     'names'  - show class name with method name

This browser effectively replaces the normal browser, the protocol browser
and the hierarchy browser, and does so in a single window.

I can't remember the Tektronix browser, but believe this one looks very
similar. There are differences in functionality, though.

I can't see a point in porting the OOram browser to Squeak. There are so
many good ideas in the Squeak image and in the community that it seems
better to use it as one of the inputs to the requirement specification for
a really useful browser. It seems that good work is already under way - I
am looking forward to use the results.

Best regards
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway