Spatial Data Management System

William Donelson wd at armchair-travel.com
Tue Mar 16 18:33:30 UTC 2004

Dear Alan

Long time, no speak. I hope you are well.

A friend of mine pointed out your notes on the internet concerning my
MIT work "The Spatial Data Management System", which formed my
Bachelor's Thesis of 1975 and Master's Thesis of 1978. Dr Bolt later
wrote several reports on this work for our sponsors, as well as a
book "The Human Interface".

Although you reference Nick Negroponte and Dick Bolt, I have
discovered that Dr Bolt has never provided any references to my
earlier works in the lab.  I cannot understand why this is, as Mr
Bolt designed a completely different system which was never
implemented.

The design work on the SDMS I and SDMS II systems which were
completed in the 1975-1980 time period was at least 85% my own work,
assisted by Mr Chris Schmandt, Mr Joe Rice, and many others in the
Architecture Machine Group at the time. As anyone there will tell
you, Dr Bolt had little to do with the design of the systems.

Unfortunately, your mistaken references are not the only ones on the
internet. I am lucky to have friends who have reported this to me,
and I would certainly appreciate your consideration in the future.
(You can confirm my work with Chris Schmandt, who is now a professor
at the MIT Media Lab).

I do have a videotape of the system in action, in which Dr Bolt sits
in the chair and operates the system, which may be misleading...

Regards,
William Donelson

--
@