Package Update Installation Anomalies

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 17 20:53:42 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 11:03 am, Doug Way wrote:
> Yes.  Although I've been thinking that a better solution to this might
> be to have the SMLoader bring up a confirmation dialog if you try to
> install a package which is not listed as being compatible with your
> current image.  For example:
>
> "You are attempting to install FooPackage, which is listed as being
> compatible with Squeak 3.5, into your Squeak 3.7alpha image, which is
> not guaranteed to work.  Do you still want to proceed with the
> installation?"

And we should also probably watch for and warn the user about things like:
	* increases to the number of Undeclared refs
	* methods in other packages or change sets that got downgraded
	* increases in the number of unimplemented messages

I have a package called CruftMinder that I've been working on from time to
time that does this kind of checkpointing and analysis; perhaps I'll put it
on SM.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/