Package Update Installation Anomalies

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Mar 18 00:06:18 UTC 2004

Lex Spoon wrote:

>Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
>

>>Yes.  Although I've been thinking that a better solution to this might
>>be to have the SMLoader bring up a confirmation dialog if you try to
>>install a package which is not listed as being compatible with your
>>current image.  For example:
>>

>It is a losing proposition to try and mix packages from different
>versions.  I don't think we should support it at all.  Packages only
>make sense within a particular pool of other packages.  Throw a
>fresh-water package into a salt-water ocean and it will die.
>
>I really think we should just commit to having a different pool of
>packages available for each version stream of Squeak.  We seem to need
>to anyway, and doing it solves a lot of problems.

I agree with most of your post, but I think the confirmation dialog
would be sufficient to strongly discourage mixing of packages from
different versions.  At least as a first step... currently we're not
doing much of anything to discourage this.

It would also encourage people to bug inactive maintainers... People
would get tired of seeing the dialog if the package was indeed
compatible with a newer Squeak release but it just wasn't marked that
way.  And then they would bug the maintainer about it.  Whereas if we
completely hid the non-compatible packages, they might never even see it.

- Doug