[BUG] User interrupts no longer interrupt locked UI process

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 18 22:02:30 UTC 2004

> On Thursday 18 March 2004 1:04 pm, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > Y'know that'll work for sure. It used to be called ioProcess
> > not too many CSes ago ;-)
>
> Good point. However, we can roll them into one.

Which "them"? The ioProcess and the userInterruptWatcher? Not too many CSes
ago we had one ioProcess which did both ;-)

> By the way, it appears as if the inputSemaphore is no longer used.
> Can we get rid of it, or do we have to register it for the VM?

Like I said to Tim only a few weeks ago, I think the inputSemaphore will be
incredibly useful at some point down the road - it existence means you are
able to do something like:

WorldState>>doOneCycleNow
    Sensor inputSemaphore waitTimeoutMSecs: nextStepTime.

This means two things: Zero CPU usage unless you do really something (and
that would mean that your PDA can actually do some serious power cycling)
and potentially some better responsiveness to UI events.

Cheers,
  - Andreas