Merging non-conflicting methods with

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Mar 22 05:06:50 UTC 2004

On Mar 21, 2004, at 7:13 AM, bernhard at pieber.com wrote:

>  A simpler alternative
> would be to have a third button named Later. After the merge you get a
> method browser with all methods which were marked that way.

That's not bad - would be a pretty quick thing to add, I'd think.

Let me say (as I do every once in a while) that in general I think the
Monticello UI is pretty bad, so anyone that feels like hacking on it is
strongly encouraged to do so.  One obvious thing to do right now would
be to start building OmniBrowser nodes for the Monticello domain; that
might become the basis of a nice new UI.

> I looked again at the histories of each version and found out that
> avi.64 is not an ancestor of avi.146. There is a hole in the ancestors
> of avi.146 between avi.65 and avi.48. So it seems that avi.48 is the
> last common ancestor of bp.65 and avi.146. Might this be a reason? Is
> this a case for Adopt maybe?

Nice catch!  Yes, it's very clear from looking at the code that avi.65
is in fact descended from avi.64 (not surprising in itself), but for
some reason it doesn't have 64 listed as an ancestor.  That's what's
causing the odd merge behavior.  So, yes, adopt 64 into 146 and then
things should work better.

I wish I knew how that corruption occurred, but doubt we'll ever know...

Avi