Merging non-conflicting methods with

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Mar 22 15:52:46 UTC 2004

On Mar 22, 2004, at 12:06 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Let me say (as I do every once in a while) that in general I think the
> Monticello UI is pretty bad, so anyone that feels like hacking on it
> is strongly encouraged to do so.  One obvious thing to do right now
> would be to start building OmniBrowser nodes for the Monticello
> domain; that might become the basis of a nice new UI.

Note to anyone who wants to try this: it shouldn't be too hard to
retarget the existing code browsers to use Monticello definitions
rather than "live" code in the image. The main task would be to create
a SnapshotContext to fetch code from an MCSnapshot rather than from the
image.

It would also be nice to have nodes for respositories, versions,
working copies, etc. Then we could do things like browse the history of
a particular package.

I've long thought that MC should have an interface based on
MorphicWrappers, although my brief experiments weren't very successful.
One problem is that the MC domain tends to be large and sprawling: it
doesn't take long before a package has lots of versions and lots of
definitions, which leads to screen clutter with MorphicWrappers.
Perhaps combining MorphicWrappers and OmniBrowser could lead to a very
pleasant interface for Monticello.