Block evaluation from a collection of blocks

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 22 19:05:05 UTC 2004

Jules Dubois <de6l5rp02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> The blocks in my source code seemed like they should but my Smalltalk
> experience is limited to the last ten days.  The class variable must
> have been holding references to old blocks.  I had changed the
> implementation of the blocks, followed by deleting the class
> variable and recreating it.  My method seems to be ineffective in
> clearing the value of the variable.

Oh, yeah, Squeak has a notion of "undeclared variables".  Since there
was still a reference to the variable, Squeak probably did not delete it
entirely.

Here's a little tip: you can execute "Moves _ nil" within a browser
that is pointed at your class.  That will set the variable to
nil.  Just type in the text, highlight it, and "do it" (alt-d).

Anyway, happy Smalltalking!

-Lex