About SM2

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Mar 24 19:22:14 UTC 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On 2004-03-24 09:26:39 +0100, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch>
> said:
>
>> Hi goran
>> I just would like to know your plans (dates) related to dependencies
>> in SM2.
>
> And what will be the future relation beetwen SM and SqueakSource ? a
> merge someday of the two tools ?

They really serve quite different purposes: SqueakSource is for
developers, SM is for users.  Now, most of us are both, of course.  For
some packages we are developers or contributors, or we depend on them
strongly and so track their progress closely.  These, we will mostly
interact with through SqueakSource (or some other repository or source
code management system).  But there will also be packages where really
all we care about is that we have the latest stable release, and
SqueakMap is the right place to look for that.  Having some integration
between them is nice (you can press a button in SqueakSource and
automatically create a new release on SM), but I don't think a merge
would serve us very well.

Avi