Hello Squeakers

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 24 19:36:00 UTC 2004

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:

> >Gary> I'll never understand the dream to make squeak like unix or the
> >Gary> unix dream to make unix like windows.
> >
> >I can understand why people would like to use existing widgets such as
> >Gtk. I love developping in Squeak from within Squeak. However, in some
> >cases, I'd really like to be able to distribute standalone
> >applications developped in Squeak (benefiting from Smalltalk XP
> >facilities), without forcing people to install Squeak and run the
> >application from within Squeak.
>
> Agreed.  While I'd guess that we will probably never move the core
> development environment of Squeak to relying on native widgets (this
> goes against the basic philosophy of Squeak), there's no reason that we
> can't have support for developing standalone applications that use
> native widgets, if a developer wants to do that.

Yes, exactly. I would never dream of using say Gtk for the dev tools.
But just as Doug says - there is no reason why Squeak shouldn't be able
to use external widget kits. Honestly I can't see the issue. Just let us
get on with it. :)

Currently Ragnar is playing with Gtk using a different approach than me.
We are probably going to exchange some ideas/code on IRC where we both
hang out. I also got an email from Rob Gayvert who is working on getting
wxWindows usable from within Squeak - cool!

Anyway, my next step is getting a little mechanism in place to make the
"callbacks". I will report when I have something working in that area.

regards, Göran