[GOODIE] Freetype/2 antialiased fonts demo ( v2; knows about styles and is somewhat faster without the plugin )

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Mar 25 01:41:02 UTC 2004

  Ned,

> So to use these for extended character sets would require a bit of tinkering.
> However, the FT2 library interface is quite capable of working together with
> something like TTCFont and producing better antialiased results.

  The current Japanese TT font renderer caches limited number of
glyphs in Squeak image.  Asking FT2 would work, too.  (The current
data structure for it isn't that smart; it should be revisited.)

> The BitBlt changes could also benefit TTCFonts which are rendered in a single
> color. Right now we're caching 32-bit forms rendered in a single color. Using
> this 8-bit deep encoding would mean that we could save at least 75% of the
> memory, and more whenever we're rendering the same glyphs in different
> colors.

  Yup.  I always wanted to have the rule since Arjen announced his code!

> For reference, I'm using the auto-hinting in Freetype/2 (that is, my version
> is compiled without the patent-encumbered interpreter).

  The FT2 version uses somewhat thinner face?  The 'y' glyph and some
others are as blurry as TTCFont version.  It is interesting.

  Thank you Ned!

-- Yoshiki