[GOODIE] Freetype/2 antialiased fonts demo ( v2; knows about styles and is somewhat faster without the plugin )

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Thu Mar 25 22:53:19 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 12:53 am, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 25.03.2004 um 02:41 schrieb Yoshiki Ohshima:
> >> The BitBlt changes could also benefit TTCFonts which are rendered in
> >> a single
> >> color. Right now we're caching 32-bit forms rendered in a single
> >> color. Using
> >> this 8-bit deep encoding would mean that we could save at least 75%
> >> of the
> >> memory, and more whenever we're rendering the same glyphs in different
> >> colors.
> >
> >   Yup.  I always wanted to have the rule since Arjen announced his
> > code!
>
> A per-component alpha rule would also be nice to allow for subpixel
> positioning on LCDs.

Yes, especially since FT2 can render 3-component alpha into either of two
formats, neither of which is easy to deal with in the current BitBlt:

horizontal: 3 consecutive bytes define the alpha of 3 sub-pixels in a row

vertical: 3 consecutive rows define the alpha of 3 sub-pixels in a column

> FT2 snaps vertical lines to the integer pixel grid, which makes the
> fonts appear considerably sharper. However, you loose fine nuances in
> the line width.

There is a flag that says not to do that snapping. I haven't tried it though.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/