3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Mar 26 18:58:44 UTC 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 1:32 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
>
>> Or, we could use the occasion of having 4.0 be the next release to go
>> for whatever VM overhaul needs to be done (if any), and have the
>> image format change in this next release.
>
> I strongly vote for this option.

This is definitely something we should to do in the near future.
Changing the image format would also give us quite a bit more
flexibility with regard to the storage of source code (ie, we could
change more than just the encoding) so it might make sense to do this
along with the m17n stuff.

However, peering into the future a bit, I imagine that taking advantage
of Exupery would also require image format changes of one kind or
another (eg, I'd love to see a class called NativeMethod). So some
questions are in order: Do we want to try to avoid two image format
changes in a short amount of time? Will Exupery require or benefit from
an image format change? Is Exupery progressing quickly enough that this
is even an issue?

Bryce?

Colin