3.7 Full

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Fri Mar 26 19:44:20 UTC 2004

Hi folks...

Some time ago I postulated myself to be the (or one of them) "Full Image
Maintainer".  I think is time to start to work on this area.

My plan is to start to build the Small-Land image on top of 3.7beta the
next week. I'll put my best effort to combine both works as much as
posible to expand the time I can invest on them.

Squeak-Full (it is not Squeak?) has to be the Dynabook.  The original
ideas, this time with enough hardware.

Here my _first_ proposal of changes and aditions for the 3.7 Full:

- Everything that was part of Squeak before the "modularization" effort
has to work fine in 3.7 Full (Wonderland, Games, Scamper, Celeste, etc).
There are a some bug/problems reported about Scamper, Wonderland, IRC,
etc.  All of them have to be fixed.

- Scamper: The table support has to be integrated.

- IRC -> IRCe.

- Jabber: The Jabber client has to be tested and included in the full
edition.  Probably we can install a jabber server at squeak.org.

- The default font will be Bitstream giving Squeak a look similar to
http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/58/Squeak1024x768.png

- The new font-rendering using Freetype/2 has to be part of the image to
enhance the quality with small fonts. Ned: What about including the
plugin?

- The default look will assume 1024x768 with 65K colors at least.

- Ned's Connector: They are a *must*.

- Genie: The last version from Ned.

- PlotMorph and PieChartMorph: Both with eToy vocabularies.

- OpenOffice Importer.

- PDF Reader: Good to have but I don't know the state.

- Text2Speech: The current version is not so good, anyone has a better
version of it?  BTW, an eToy vocabulary is needed.

- Video/Image editing: Basically the work in VideoFlow including eToy
vocabulary.

(If you didn't realize yet one of the goals is to make available a lot
of power from eToy scripts)

- Translations: We have almost-complete translations for German and
Spanish and some other in progress. ALL of them will be included.

- Games: the old ones plus a good set of new (like Atomic).

- NetMorph: It could be a great addition but I don't know the state of
the development.

- Skeleton: Ditto.  Good to have.

I didn't think yet about the demo-projects to include.

Additions, comments, etc?

Cheers,

--
Diego Gomez Deck