3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Mar 26 20:25:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:32:30AM -0800, Michael Rueger wrote:
> Doug Way wrote:
>
> >Or, we could use the occasion of having 4.0 be the next release to go
> >for whatever VM overhaul needs to be done (if any), and have the image
> >format change in this next release.
>
> I strongly vote for this option.
>
> Michael
I have a practical and a not so practical question, in view of all the
votes for the VM overhaul.

Will there be some way to move stuff from an old image to a new one?
(I gather 4.0 may represent a format change even if the VM doesn't
change).

The less practical questions concern some contemplated changes, I
think at the VM level.  I recall these being discussed some time ago,
but it seems they have not happened: block closures, and cached
compiled code (I think called Jitter).   What's the status of these
efforts?

Thanks.