3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Mar 27 07:17:09 UTC 2004

  Hello,

> While I recognize that purists hate underscores in selectors (and
> I'm not crazy about them either), I have real-world uses for them,
> driven by a handful of relational databases that are
> mission-critical to me, and no doubt others that I haven't met yet.
> I find benefit in using field names as selectors, and underscores
> are common separators in field names.
>
> So, here is my proposal:
>
> (1) The use of _ to represent assignment should be present in the editor, not the source files.
> (2) An editor option maps _ to :-=, and on deleting a $=, will automatically delete a preceeding $:.
> (3) A separate option displays ':=' as a back arrow in workspaces and browsers.
>
> Doing that would give those who obviously feel strongly about typing
> := what they want, would give those who really like the back arrow
> what they want, and would free up the underscore for use in
> selectors.  A further benefit would be that scamper, the file list,
> etc., would stop displaying underscores (common in file names, URLs,
> etc.) as back arrows.

  I believe that the m17n package can change the whole picture here.
Given that, it may look better for a while, but can add another
complication for longer term.

  I do have a version of m17n package for 3.7 alpha version, which is
way more unstable than the previous version but at least it does
something with 3.7 alpha image.  (Making up this version from a
version for 3.6 took a full week for me.)

  Other than stabilize this, there are more work such as implementing
different font handling mechanism that works better with wider variety
of single byte fonts, etc.  But it is closer than before to be merged
into the main stream.

-- Yoshiki