New prototype language

Lothar Schenk lothar.schenk at gmx.de
Sat Mar 27 12:14:51 UTC 2004

Am Freitag, 26. März 2004 17:30 schrieb Colin Putney:

> This looks interesting, a cross between Python and Self.
>
> http://www.prothon.org/

Quote from the desription:

"Just as Python pioneered the use of white-space (indentation) to control
syntax, Prothon is using case to control syntax."

I doubt if one can get substantial advances in programmer productivity by
focussing on the use of whitespace or letter case in language syntax. We need
better concepts for structuring complexity, and the tools to handle them
intuitively without having to worry about syntax issues. (Okay, before you
ask, I can see the need, but I can't fulfill it. :) ) I haven't checked this
language in-depth, yet, so maybe it has some new concepts, though I won't
raise my expectations too high for a language that defines itself as a
combination of two already existing languages. Object orientation has been a
giant step forward in its time, but where is the next big step forward?
Looking at C++ or Java as compared to their ancestor Smalltalk, it sure looks
like the software industry has collectively shuffled its feet, since then.
I think that if language designers were to look at language syntax as an
implementation detail that should be hidden by the language implementation,
it would free them to have a better look at the conceptual issues.

Regards, Lothar