How to bring money in the community

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Mar 29 03:44:11 UTC 2004

Well there is the Smalltalk Industry Council (STIC) which quite a few
people have membership ($) in.
This does help fund things like Smalltalk Solutions 2004. However I
don't think they provide any Smalltalk/Squeak jobs directly, indirectly
perhaps.

Perhaps one should send their $50? to STIC and then $20 to the squeak
foundation?

On Mar 28, 2004, at 7:36 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> This is extremely vague and probably silly, but would it be at all
> useful to start a sort of "squeak of the month club"?  Anyone who
> wanted to join would pledge, say, $10 or $20 a month to go towards
> squeak-related development, and we would have some kind of voting
> mechanism to allocate the funds to specific projects each month.
> Rationally I realize this isn't much different from a bunch of
> individual $20 donations, but somehow I think people would be more
> likely to participate in something organized than just choose out of
> the blue to send someone a cheque.  And it might motivate us to get a
> structure in place that would allow us to accept larger-scale
> contributions later on...
>
> Do any other open source projects do something similar?
>
> Avi

===