Revert 5784? (was Re: Can't ping SM from a 5816 image, works from older images)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Mar 29 05:50:58 UTC 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 7:30 PM, Doug Way wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> Am 29.03.2004 um 00:54 schrieb Doug Way:
>>
>>> SMSqueakMap pingServer: 'map1.squeakfoundation.org'
>>>
>>> At the moment, this returns false with a fresh 3.7alpha-5816 image
>>> (on Mac OS X).  However, with a 3.7alpha-5707 image or a 3.6 image,
>>> it returns true.
>>
>> I have this, too, also on OS X, but with the Update Stream Servers.
>> Strange thing was, I tried to debug it, and in the debugger, it
>> worked ...
>
> Ah yes, if I debug down into NetNameResolver
> class>>addressForName:timeout: and step through that, it seems to
> work.
>
> Also, it works in a 5764 image, so the problem is in the last batch of
> updates.  Possible culprits might be:
>
> 5784NoEventSensorProcess-ar
> 5800ProxyAuthPostFix-daf  (eh, probably not this one)
> 5805UnwindFixes-ajh

Ok, it looks like 5784 is the source of the problem here.

Ned's 5784-related fixes (EventSensorInterruptFix, etc) don't seem to
help for this case.

I wonder if we might be better off reverting 5784 and trying it again
at the beginning of the next alpha cycle, since it seems to be quite
destabilizing, and we're about to go to beta. (and it was labelled as
an experiment, after all)

Or do we think these problems are easily fixable?

Anyway, no updates today... the BFAV is currently unusable with a 5816
image on OS X. (although I think it was ok on Windows, I may try that
tomorrow)  I'm running into various "21364.eml does not exist" errors
which I think are related to the 5784 problem.

- Doug